Flooding Emergency Update 10
May 23, 2019, 2:00 pm
Based on the forecasted rainfall and the latest information provided by the MNRF – North Bay District, Lake Nipissing levels are expected to remain high over the next several days. Road conditions are relatively stable and Closures remain in effect. The water levels on the roads continue to fluctuate due to changes in wind direction. Crews continue to monitor water levels in the area and flag any potential hazards caused by water over the roads.
The Cache Bay Boat Launch on Teal Road (Park Rd) remains available. All other Municipal Boat Launches in Sturgeon Falls, Cache Bay (Government Dock Rd.), Verner and Lavigne are closed until further notice.
Emergency Services and Operations Crews continue to patrol and assess conditions daily. We will provide updates as new information becomes available.
For any flood related concerns or inquiries, contact the Municipality at 705.753.1171.
Disaster Recovery Assistance for Ontarians Program
There are rules, forms and insurance implications to the DRAO. Applicants should contact their insurance providers regarding flood damage matters.
Learn more about the program:
Municipal Boat Launch Closures
- Marina Minnehaha Bay
- Sturgeon River House Museum
- Holditch Street in Sturgeon Falls
- Cache Bay Launch on Government Dock Rd.
- St-Jean Municipal Launch
- Lavigne Municipal Launch
Boat Launching Considerations:
- Come prepared to launch in high water levels, wear a life jacket and appropriate footwear.
- Launching will require more than one person per boat.
- Expect some vehicle congestion, please be patient with other boaters and help one another.
- Do not park vehicles and trailers within the launch area.
Boating Safety Considerations:
- Be mindful of dangerous floating debris.
- Navigate with caution and follow the 9 km/hr speed regulation.
- The slightest wake can cause damage to shoreline properties and sand bag walls.
Accommodations and Assistance
Residents who or are in need of accommodations or volunteering assistance can call 705.753.1171.
Click here for updated Road Closures. Road conditions are updated as information becomes available.
100 bags per residence is available to those in need. Sand bags are available at the Sturgeon Falls Fire Station (225 Holditch Street) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sand bags are to be used to protect homes and wells, not secondary structures and shorelines.
Sand piles are available in areas including:
For any flood-related inquiries or concerns, please contact us at 705.753.1171.
To report an emergency please call 911.